Re: Octave doesn't lauch in Windows 10

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave doesn't lauch in Windows 10
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 11:25:07 -0600 (CST)

bpabbott wrote
>> On Jan 20, 2019, at 2:56 AM, PhilipNienhuis <

> pr.nienhuis@

> > wrote:
>>
>> Felipe Nicolau wrote
>>> Hello
>>> My name is Felipe and I've installed Octave 4.4.1 and everything was
>>> working normal. Then I upgraded windows 10 and now when the GUI simply
>>> doesn't open, it doesn't even come up with error messages.
>>> A little help would be much appreciated.
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Felipe
>>
>> It's hard to tell what exactly happened inside your box.
>> What is your Windows 10 version now? look in Settings -> System -> About.
>> E.g., on my Win10 box it says "Version 1803".
>>
>> Have you tried if reinstalling Octave helps?
>>
>> Philip
>
> Many of reported running Octave on Windows 10. However, it does not work
> for me either. I’m running Win10 Pro v 1709, build 16299.611
>
> My IT disabled root access on Win10. This means there are location where I
> no longer have write access. I’ve been wondering if that is my problem.

Your IT-colleagues may have made the registry hive where Octave writes its
uninstallation info read-only; that'll make installation of several SW
cumbersome at least.
But once installed Octave merely writes info in the user profile, that
should be no problem.

But there are creepier mechanisms.
In my company the IT security folks have installed so-called TRAPS and
Thinapp services ("daemons") that catch any .dlls and .exes that aren't
registered in some SW database and prevent them from running at all.  The
net effect was that we were tied down so severely we couldn't do our core
activities anymore, the rules had to be relaxed quite a bit for us.  For
Octave it meant whitelisting the entire Octave installation directory.
Maybe you're affected by a similar IT dept. move.

> Felipe, did you have to “run elevated” to install Octave?

felipe,

You can try to right-click the desktop shortcut and in Properties set
something like 'Turn on legacy <blahblah>'.

Can you try to install (expand) the zipdist archive rather than run the
binary installer and then create a desktop shortcut to
<octave_install_dir>\octave.vbs ?

BTW my local Win10 installations are both v. 1803 and Octave 4.4.1 to 6.0.0
run fine there.
Upgrading to a new Win10 version is known to be risky at times, but AFAIK
the most affected part is the Octave terminal. But it is the heart of it
all, and on Windows it is known to be fragile.

Philip