Re: Publish

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Publish
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 15:50:18 -0700 (PDT)

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM, siko1056 <

> k.ohlhus@

> > wrote:
>> JuanPi wrote
>>> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM, JuanPi <
>>
>>> ajuanpi@

>>> it seems 4.2.1 is having troubles with subfunctions, because
>>> create_output is there...
>>>
>>> --
>>> JuanPi Carbajal
>>> https://goo.gl/ayiJzi
>>> Public GnuPG key: 9C5B72BF
>>> -----
>>> "Why is thought, being a secretion of the brain, more wonderful than
>>> gravity, a property of matter?"
>>> - C. Darwin
>>
>> Hi JuanPi,
>>
>> Using a self-compiled Octave 4.2.1 on Linux, trying to publish this
>> script
>> https://github.com/siko1056/OctConf2017/blob/master/demo2/intro.m works
>> as
>> normal calling:

>> ans = /workspace/OctConf2017/demo2/html/intro.html
>>
>> Also subfunctions don't bother my 4.2.1 version... did you modify
>> anything
>> about publish or Octave? I'm very interested about getting this to work
>> ;-)
>>
>> Kai.
>>

>> --
>
> ok, found it!
>
> The issue is that the script being published cannot call
>
> clear all
>
> because it will delete the subfunction.
>
> Try it out
>
> ## A simple example
> #
> # This will break publish
> #
>
> clear all
> disp("Sad...")
>
> I did not find this documented, sorry. But I guess the script being
> published should be run in its own workspace... no idea how to do that
> or publish will have to comment out all the clear all and clear
> functions...
>
> Also, need help with the markdown output or you already have it?

Thank you for pointing me to this issue. For me, this is really worth a bug
report! A fix (hack) would be to add a subfunction called clear at the very
end of the file, just before the tests start at line: "## Bad function
calls", see patch attached.

I think at least a warning should be issued, to inform the publisher, that
he should try to avoid using clear as long as bug
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35881 is open.

The other question about markdown support, that feature will be present in
the next release, currently dev or 4.3.0+. An almost ready template is
available from here:
https://github.com/siko1056/OctConf2017/blob/master/demo2/__publish_jekyll_markdown_output__.m
(One just needs to strip the Jekyll part).

Best,
Kai

publish_clear.patch
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4683437/publish_clear.patch>