Re: install pkg

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: install pkg
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 10:50:28 -0800

>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> Okay, I tried fink.  I ran into a roadblock where it required Java be
>>> updated, I updated Java Runtime Environment, which is what it indicated,
>>> and got no progress.  A helpful supporter over at fink said not JRE, JDK,
>>> which it appears is Java Development Environment.  As I spelled out over at
>>> that forum there is no clear path to a JDK for Mac OS X 10.10.1 - not to
>>> say that there is no such thing, just that it is not clear where to find it.
>>>
>>> I've spent non-trivial parts of days now trying to get Octave running on
>>> Mac OS X 10.10.1.  Can you tell me how to install JDK to get fink running
>>> to get ..............?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> I used google to search Apple's support site -> "site:support.apple.com
>> java jdk yosemite". The first link is below.
>>
>>      http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572
>>
>> Ben
>>

> On Nov 29, 2014, at 10:42 AM, James Russell <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Thanks Ben and others.  The link didn't work (don't know why - gave blank
> page repeatedly), but I did the same search starting from Apple and found the
> package.  Note to 'fink beginners' - nowhere is "JDK" referenced at the Apple
> site.  Remember, you're addressing "beginners".  I've administered systems
> for > 30 years, but I'm new to fink.
>
> Jim

Up until about the time 10.7 came out, Apple provided the Java for OS X.  To
build against it required the “Java SDK” from Xcode.  They then gave that up
and let Oracle handle Java, but still provide legacy support—albeit not in an
obvious place.

I’m in the middle of reworking the fink code to make it more obvious what Java
to download from where.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison