Re: install pkg

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: install pkg
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 19:30:10 -0800

> On Nov 30, 2014, at 6:23 PM, Sunil Shah <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I used fink to install packages for octave.  Make sure you have the
> development version of octave installed.
>
> Sunil
>
>> On Nov 30, 2014, at 6:07 PM, James Russell <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Alexander, Ben,
>>
>> Not sure whether this is a fink or an octave problem.
>>
>> I've used fink to install Octave (successfully as far as the basics go) on
>> my Mac.  This took so long (> 1.5 days of building), that in the meanwhile I
>> build a Ubuntu machine out of an old MacBook and installed Octave there too
>> (much easier).
>>
>> My principal motivation for installing Octave for the present is to explore
>> wavelet transforms after I get cut off from Matlab in a couple of weeks.
>> So, following instructions on Octave Wiki, I used:
>>
>> pkg install -forge signal
>>
>> on both.  In each case, I got a complaint that 'signal' needed 'general' and
>> 'control'.  So, I tried
>>
>> pkg install -forge general
>>
>> I got:
>>
>> pkg: unable to find the mkoctfile command, Octave installation is incomplete.
>>
>> at which point progress towards my goal stopped.
>>
>> fink problem?  Hard to know, there were literally thousands and thousands of
>> lines of messages on the console as fink built Octave, 99.99999% of them
>> scrolled off into the bit bucket.  A comment on this, if I may.  My recent
>> coding experience (last several years) has been in Matlab.  I've found that
>> if I print a lot of information to the command console, a program can take
>> many, many times longer than if I don't.  What I do is include a command
>> line argument 'verbose' and default it off, and send only the most essential
>> stuff to the console.  A typical user, I expect, will not benefit from the
>> thousands and thousands and thousands of lines of feedback at the console,
>> but would benefit from substantially speedier execution.  Seriously, I
>> thought it was possible it was in an endless loop, and considered killing
>> it.  1.5 days is not hyperbole - it really took that long.
>>
>> octave problem?  I don't know.  It's octave that is making the complaint.
>>

>> In any case, wherever the problem comes from, any idea how to remedy it?  I
>> looked in Fink Commander, but it found nothing on searching for mkoctfile.
>>
>> Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?
>>

>> Thanks for your generous help.
>>
>> Jim

In general, you’re probably best off using Fink to install your Octave Forge
packages (though I haven’t had time to package all of them up just yet),
because some of them need patching to build on OS X, or at least for Fink, and
a bare “pkg install...” will fail.

Try “fink install signal-oct382”.  This will install the appropriate
octave*-dev package, where “-dev” doesn’t mean “development version” but
“portion of the package which is required for package development (building)
but not at runtime”, which includes mkoctfile as well as all of the headers.  I
do a separate package version for each Octave version because the default
Octave build process breaks library compatibility with every new release and I
didn’t want to have to mass-update all of the Octave Forge packages each time.

You also might want to enable the binary distribution.  More on that without
bothering the Octave list.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison