Re: Aw: Re: Streaming Serial Octave

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Streaming Serial Octave
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 08:39:02 +0200

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 12:17 AM, inertialwave <address@hidden> wrote:
> Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
>> What is the chance that you can help fixing instrument-control?
>
> Let me be clear. I have not yet evaluated instrument-control so don't know
> what if anything needs fixing.
> but I am motivated to help resolve the matter one way or another,
> particularly for virtual COM ports that can't yet be accessed from native
> Octave, at least on Win OS. Also consider this note from Stephan Mahr above
> suggests some patience:
>
> "Serial interface of instrument-control doesn't work with native windows
> yet. I already have some code that works with native windows, but I had no
> time to make it ready for commit."
>
> I don't have octave/cygwin installed on my resourceful Win7 PC and the base
> Octave install under Raspbian (2.6.2 ?) on my Raspberry Pi does not support
> instrument-control. Furthermore the resources on the Raspberry PI ARM appear
> to be far too limited to support streaming Octave analysis of the raw serial
> data stream. Hence my theme is to use resourceful host PCs with streaming
> Octave for scripted algorithm development and then decide on how to
> partition the final application between embedded code and host software.
>
> I did say that I thought instrument-control sounded like a good general,
> multiplatform Octave I/O package solution a la Matlab's DAQ Toolbox. I like
> for instance its i2C support which would be great in principle if embedded
> Octave were not so slow. Unfortunately I don't have a resourceful linux
> computer handy to try out instrument-control directly and but diving into
> octave/cygwin looks complex just for this one evaluation.
>
> I am certainly ready to evaluate instrument-control but octave/cygwin seems
> too high a hurdle. I would also consider looking at instrument-control C++
> under Visual Studio if it would help me find a way to get the Win OS name
> for a virtual COM Port...but this seems in conflict with Stefan's post.
>
> Given my resources and interest and Stefan Mahr's status what would you
> advise to move ahead with Octave serial streaming?
>

> --

I am sorry I cannot help with Win development. I do not work on Windoze.

Can't you boot your machine in Debian with a live cd or usb, or
partiton your disk to have double booting? Again, if you are going to
run something in Raspian, why not develop it in Debian...I guess you
will save some headaches.

In anycase, the serial part of instrumnet-control is a bunch of C++ files
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/instrument-control/ci/default/tree/src/serial/

I am pretty sure you can port all that code to Windoze, get it running
there for you and then help us bringing your modified code into the
package.

Thanks!