Re: Aw: Re: Streaming Serial Octave

From: inertialwave
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Streaming Serial Octave
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:40:09 -0700 (PDT)

After above helpful responses, I will benchmark and report on the following
serial streaming options:

(1) native windows (presently wired serial device only until original post
is resolved)
(2) instrument-control/cygwin/windows
(3) serialport/sockets packages/windows

For serial data streaming the native functionality has been impressive so
far, although for some sources I have been using system commands to python
script to setup the serial source baudrate, sample rate etc. If
instrument-control doesn't limit performance it could be the choice for
embedded app development.

My streaming Octave application takes ~1ms per sample on my win7/64 PC so
keeps up with 460.8kbaud (wired) with zero missed samples. When this same
Octave is embedded in my (resource-limited) Raspberry Pi
(Raspberrian/Debian) it takes 180X longer- and I am not ready to code yet.