Streaming Serial Octave

From: inertialwave
Subject: Streaming Serial Octave
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 14:19:13 -0700 (PDT)

I have encountered numerous serial com workarounds here but native
Octave3.6.4 seems very close on its own and is already promising to be as
solid an practical as Python at least up to 460.8kbaud tested so far.

Some motivation, an important problem case with fopen defined and a
requested answer/solution:

Octave would be a great tool for rapid high level embedded application
development. Once a streaming algorithm is successfully developed in Octave
using real time streaming serial data from the device/sensor through Octave
then it would be much easier to partition and complete any embedded code
needed on the device side...it may even be as good or better than Matlab.
Modern PC's and serial port buffering could support a LOT of
streaming/real-time development.

..but...I need your help with this one last issue of opening a "Standard
Serial over Bluetooth link(COM24)" device. I was able to get all wired
serial ports to work but many embedded devices use Bluetooth which creates
special ("virtual") com ports to interface with the radio driver. Here is an
example:

> [fid,msg]=fopen('\\.\COM24','r+')
> fid=-1
> msg= Permission denied

Why??? Is there a workaround or a patch?

If needed, I found  a possible address (ECFE7E116058) for the actual target
serial device using serial.tools.list_ports.comports() but couldn't see how
to use it.
> [fid,msg]=fopen('ECFE7E116058','r+')
> fid=-1
> msg=  No such file or directory

On regular wired serial devices or USB connected devices I have had great
success with streaming device (sensor in this case) data at 460.8kbaud
straight into Octave 3.6.4 and keeping up with it in real time with a fairly
sophisticated algorithm !!  No need for PySerial batch collection first or
serialport/sockets packages or Oct2py complexities.

The trick I had to learn was to use the "full" comport name('\\.\COMxx') and
NOT ('\\\\.\\COMxx') or fopen wouldn't work above COM4. Embedded development
results in many, many comports.