Mac - problem with plotting

From: Andrew Gibb
Subject: Mac - problem with plotting
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 17:27:51 +0100

Hi,

I can't seem to plot. I've just installed Octave using Homebrew on Mac OS Mavericks. If I do:

> x = linspace(0,5);
> plot(x, sin(x))

I get

gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1" size 560 420 font "*,6" dashlength 1
                      ^
line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list

However,
octave:3> set terminal
error: invalid conversion from string to real N-d array
error: set: expecting graphics handle as first argument

Which I guess is not what I should see.

It is suspicious that the error message begins "set terminal aqua" irrespective of the value of GNUTERM. The result is the same for GNUTERM set to qt, aqua, or X11.

The results are the same in the gui, or running Octave from a terminal prompt.

I have installed aquaterm via the dmg from sourceforge, and homebrew has picked up the gnuplot dependency.

Any ideas what's wrong here?

Thanks

Andy