Re: Mac - problem with plotting

From: Andrew Gibb
Subject: Re: Mac - problem with plotting
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 10:29:12 +0100

Ben,

Thanks for your reply. To be explicit, I tried setting GNUTERM as an environment variable using a bash export command to each of X11, qt, or aqua. I then opened octave and did

 > x = linspace(0,5);
 > plot(x, sin(x))

Each time this returned

gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1" size 560 420 font "*,6" dashlength 1
^
line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list

Then I tried opening octave from a termial with GNUTERM unset, then tried using the octave command "set" to set GNUTERM to each of the same three values. Each time I call set GNUTERM, octave returns

error: invalid conversion from string to real N-d array
error: set: expecting graphics handle as first argument

Then doing
 > x = linspace(0,5);
 > plot(x, sin(x))

returns
gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1" size 560 420 font "*,6" dashlength 1
^
line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list
irrespective of what GNUTERM is set to. I hope that's a little clearer.

Here's the output from the commands you suggested (I installed fltk via homebrew and started a new terminal):

octave:1> close all
octave:2> set GNUTERM x11
error: invalid conversion from string to real N-d array
error: set: expecting graphics handle as first argument
octave:2> plot (rand (3))

gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1" size 560 420 font "*,6" dashlength 1
^
line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list

octave:3>

octave:3> close all
octave:4> graphics_toolkit fltk
error: graphics_toolkit: fltk toolkit is not available
error: called from:
error: /usr/local/Cellar/octave/3.8.1/share/octave/3.8.1/m/plot/util/graphics_toolkit.m at line 70, column 5
octave:4> plot (rand (3))

gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1" size 560 420 font "*,6" dashlength 1
^
line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list

octave:5>

Andy

Ben Abbott wrote:
I can't seem to plot. I've just installed Octave using Homebrew on
Mac OS Mavericks. If I do:

x = linspace(0,5);
plot(x, sin(x))
I get

gnuplot> set terminal aqua enhanced title "Figure 1" size 560 420
font "*,6" dashlength 1
^
line 0: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal'
for a list

However,
octave:3> set terminal
error: invalid conversion from string to real N-d array
error: set: expecting graphics handle as first argument

Which I guess is not what I should see.

It is suspicious that the error message begins "set terminal aqua"
irrespective of the value of GNUTERM. The result is the same for
GNUTERM set to qt, aqua, or X11.

The results are the same in the gui, or running Octave from a
terminal prompt.

I have installed aquaterm via the dmg from sourceforge, and homebrew
has picked up the gnuplot dependency.

Any ideas what's wrong here?

Thanks

It is likely that either your gnuplot was not compiled to plot using
MacOS Aqua interface, or the Aquaterm libraries are not where gnuplot
expects to find them. It is generally a good idea to build and install
Octave and all its dependencies using Hombrew (including Aquaterm, and
Gnuplot. However, since there is no Homebrew Aquaterm formula, you may
be out of luck there).

In any event, I realize you've said that GNUTERM has no effect, but
you didn't say what you did.

Please try the following commands from Octave's command line.

close all
set GNUTERM x11
plot (rand (3))

Also, there is good chance that the FLTK toolkit is supported. To find
out, run Octave via the command line (this will not work from the GUI)
and try ...

close all
graphics_toolkit fltk
plot (rand (3))