Re: Building/Installing 3.8.1 on OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

From: Michael C. Grant
Subject: Re: Building/Installing 3.8.1 on OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT)

Oh my, someone told me that people are messing with /usr/bin to try and get
Octave 3.8.x working. Please don't mess up your system like that!

if you are in a position to try Homebrew, I've been working on a recipe.
I've only tested it on Mavericks, but I think the likelihood is good that it
will work on Snow Leopard. Here's the pull request for that recipe, which
will hopefully be merged into Homebrew-science soon.
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/723