Building/Installing 3.8.1 on OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

From: Clark Dunson
Subject: Building/Installing 3.8.1 on OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:00:41 -0700

Hey everybody!

I really want to experience this 3.8!  I am a long-time matlab/gnu developer,
and thought I'd build it.

But I have some sort of 'make install' location problem as fftw 3.3.4 is built
and installed but octave:

configure: WARNING: FFTW3F library not found.  The slower FFTPACK library will
be used instead.

and also SuiteSparse-4.2.1:

configure: WARNING: COLAMD library not found.  This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
etc., I'll spare you the rest.

I have experimented with various blah blah blah:

./configure --enable-shared
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared

but no joy yet!  I usually end up succeeding at these matters - eventually.
But I though a sanity check would be smart.  Should I push on my build, use
homebrew?

What will get me going quickest with Snow Leopard and Octave 3.8?

THANKS!

Clark