Re: How to install Octave on Mac Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.3)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: How to install Octave on Mac Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.3)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 17:13:24 -0400

On Apr 18, 2013, at 5:03 PM, Andy Davidson wrote:

> From: Ben Abbott <address@hidden>
> Date: Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:55 PM
> To: Andrew Davidson <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: How to install Octave on Mac Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.3)
>
>> On Apr 18, 2013, at 4:34 PM, AED wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I am new to Octave. I could not get it to install on my mac. I followed the
>>> direction for using the macports version. It looks like the problem has to
>>> do with X11?
>>> I found a Apple support page that says X11 has been removed.
>>> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293 <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293>
>>> */"X11 is not included with Mountain Lion, but X11 server and client
>>> libraries for OS X Mountain Lion are available from the XQuartz project:
>>> http://xquartz.macosforge.org. You should use XQuartz version 2.7.2 or
>>> later."/*
>>> I tried googling but did not find a solution
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>>> Andy
>>
>> The macports install page includes an enumerated list for X11 options
>>
>>      http://www.macports.org/install.php
>>
>> Looking at the portfile ...
>>

>> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/math/octave-devel/Portfile
>>
>> It does not appear that X11 is required.  What command did you use in your
>> attempt to install octave?   I recommend ....
>>
>>      sudo port install octave-devel @3.6.4 +fltk+docs+atlas
>>
>> If you get an error, please tell us exactly what command produced the error,
>> and copy-n-paste the error into your reply.  You may get a more reliable
>> response from the macports maillist.

>> Ben
>
> Hi Ben
>
> I originally followed the direction at
> http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#Simple_Installation_Instructions_2
> "To install the most recent version of Octave, type sudo port install
> octave-devel +atlas+docs at the Terminal's command line."
>
> I tried your suggestion, how ever I get the same error
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
>
> Andy
>
> $ sudo port install octave-devel @3.6.4 +fltk+docs+atlas
> Password:
> --->  Computing dependencies for octave-devel
> --->  Dependencies to be installed: epstool ghostscript xorg-libXext
> xorg-libX11 xorg-libxcb doxygen graphviz gd2 xpm xorg-libXt libLASi pango
> Xft2 xrender cairo xorg-xcb-util gobject-introspection harfbuzz xorg-libXaw
> groff xorg-libXmu texlive texlive-basic texlive-bin poppler xorg-libXp
> texlive-documentation-base texlive-bin-extra dvipng latexmk texlive-latex
> pdfjam texlive-latex-recommended pgf texlive-context
> texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-math-extra texlive-metapost texlive-xetex
> texlive-generic-recommended texlive-documentation-english texlive-fontutils
> lcdf-typetools ps2eps texlive-lang-czechslovak texlive-lang-dutch
> texlive-lang-english texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german
> texlive-lang-italian texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-portuguese
> [...]

I don't see what went wrong.  Have you tried reporting the problem to macports?

You might try installing each of the dependencies one at a time to determine
which one is producing the problem.  Sometimes, the problem is that a port
needs to be "cleaned".  For example, if epstool won't install, you can try
cleaning and then attempt the install again.

        sudo port clean epstool
        sudo port install epstool

Ben