Re: How to install Octave on Mac Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.3)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: How to install Octave on Mac Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.3)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:55:11 -0400

On Apr 18, 2013, at 4:34 PM, AED wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to Octave. I could not get it to install on my mac. I followed the
> direction for using the macports version. It looks like the problem has to
> do with X11?
>
> I found a Apple support page that says X11 has been removed.
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293 <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293>
>
> */"X11 is not included with Mountain Lion, but X11 server and client
> libraries for OS X Mountain Lion are available from the XQuartz project:
> http://xquartz.macosforge.org. You should use XQuartz version 2.7.2 or
> later."/*
>
> I tried googling but did not find a solution
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Andy

The macports install page includes an enumerated list for X11 options

        http://www.macports.org/install.php

Looking at the portfile ...

https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/math/octave-devel/Portfile

It does not appear that X11 is required.  What command did you use in your
attempt to install octave?   I recommend ....

        sudo port install octave-devel @3.6.4 +fltk+docs+atlas

If you get an error, please tell us exactly what command produced the error,
and copy-n-paste the error into your reply.  You may get a more reliable
response from the macports maillist.