Re: Octave stand-alone and Octave 3.6.2 compiled for Visual Studio 2010

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave stand-alone and Octave 3.6.2 compiled for Visual Studio 2010
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:04:35 -0500

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM, hkhauke <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Michael,

thank you once more for the help.

Even though you say that octaverc would be called it somehow does not
happen.
However, if I use "source" to execute that script, it outputs

 - Use `pkg list' to see a list of installed packages.
 - MSYS shell available (c:\Software\VC10Libs\local\octave-3.6.2\msys).
warning: unable to set default graphics backend

This is what I see in the stand-alone Octave but I can not see if not using
"source" in my
usage of the Octave libraries.

There must be something wrong on your system. When I try the sample code from [1], it works as expected. I compiled the program using mkoctfile from the octave prompt. Then I copied the executable into the bin directory of my Octave-3.6.2 installation (such that it can find all DLL). When I execute it, I can see the few lines above (from the octaverc execution). So the expected behavior is that you don't need to source octaverc explicitly, as it's done automatically when you initialize the interpreter.

BTW, REPL stands for Read-Eval-Print-Loop. This is the interactive loop of typical command-line programs: you type a command, the program interprets it and prints the result.

Michael.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Standalone-Programs.html#Standalone-Programs