Re: Quick Question

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Quick Question
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:19:57 -0500

On 19 December 2012 18:55, StandardOctaveUser <address@hidden> wrote:
> now, technically,
>
> There is nothing wrong with developing engineering
> software and charging for engineering services using
> that software, right?
>
> As long as you are not selling the software ?

I don't understand what you are referring to. There is no problem
"selling" derived works from Octave, nor Octave itself. In fact, as I
have stated before, we are very seriously considering "selling" Octave
itself. I am using quotes here, because "selling" software is a fuzzy
concept. Exactly what are you selling? Octave is free, so it will
never have a license manager. Matlab sells you the permission to use
their software (a license). Octave can never take that permission
away. So instead, we plan to charge for the task of building and
transferring Octave binaries to users.

The GPL does not forbid commercial activity. It only forbids denying
other people the freedom that the GPL has given you: freedom to study
the source, to modify it, use it, and distribute it.

- Jordi G. H.