Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 01:19:41 +0100

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:

"it allows linking with other files which may be entirely proprietary" - so what ? Does, for example, BSD license impose limitations on linking ? Or Apache license ?

"it is not compatible with GPL" - we've already beaten that dead horse to sub-elementary particles, ans the _solution_ (from end user point view) is:

build from sources locally and do not distribute the binary.

GPL is not an issue/a cause to fight for, end user benefits are.

Regards,
  Sergei.

I don't think build-from source locally is acceptable in the general case. Some very useful machines don't self-host eg.iPad, and besides build-from-source creates an interesting chicken and egg issue with machines with no compiler on them :)

Edmund