Re: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?

From: Yury T.
Subject: Re: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 22:23:12 -0800 (PST)

First of all, Sergei and Jordi, let me thank you profusely for your time and
effort spent in helping me!

I tested both solutions and think I will go with Sergei's one, even if it's
abusing Octave somehow (in reality, such «paradigm wrappers», so to speak,
often are a necessities, even, and not a frivolities). With this solution I
at least feel I understand how it works. :)

@Sergei: I feel your condemnation of Octave/Matlab syntax is unnecessary
strong. Perl syntax, or, as a matter of fact, C syntax might be familiar to
one, but by no means is it an opposite of «crappy», by which I assume you
evolution» (that is, unintuitive/arbitrary constructs) are, I feel, a common
quality of all complex evolving systems of the kind (that is, programming
languages) We had at least one language with an rationally constructed
syntax (Pascal), and look at it now.

@Jorgi: If I only had time (which I won't have, for several months, at
least), I would gladly participate in clarifying the documentation,
especially in the topics discussed here. One (especially familiar with C and
AWK, hehe) should be able to produce an equivalent of Sergei's solution «in
5 minutes», assuming the documentation is really helping. However, as it is,
I'll be able only to produce short snips («explanations to self») which I
should just mail to you, right?

Thanks again, guys.