Re: Running Octave from Fink?

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 09:09:05 -0700

On 11/6/12 6:53 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 5 November 2012 23:28, Alexander Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Xcode doubly so.
>>>
>>> Does Fink work without it? I understand Macports doesn't work with a
>>> pure gcc install. It's unfortunate to have to recommend people to
>>> install non-free software to install Octave.
>>>
>>> - Jordi G. H.
>>>

>> My understanding is that you can't really get a fully functional build
>> system in OS X based solely on those components that Apple puts under
>> their APSL.
>
> To hell with Apple and their legalese. Octave and gcc are free
> software and you can't restrict them further. I am not talking about
> anything Apple is distributing other than the core OS.
>
>> And we pretty much insist on the Xcode compilers except when packages
>> need functionality that they don't provide, like a Fortran compiler.  I
>> _could_ move our Octave packages over to FSF gcc and g++--I just
>> happened to get fewer test failures with Xcode's compilers.  Beyond
>> that, I'm not sure what all in the Octave dependency tree won't build
>> with FSF GCC.
>
> I am certain that Octave builds with this:
>
>     https://github.com/kennethreitz/osx-gcc-installer
>
> I don't know if the rest of Fink works without Xcode, though. Have you
> ever tested?

No.  There has been no compelling reason to do so.  Integration with
third-party tools is a very low priority.

>> The project team's point of view is that since we're on a proprietary OS
>> anyway, and since our users don't have to spend cash on Xcode, it
>> fulfills our needs.
>
> Which project?

I meant the Fink Project, of course.

GNU's point of view is that we don't recommend people
> to install non-free software. That people are already running a
> restrictive OS is a problem, but we shouldn't be telling them to agree
> to legalese to run Octave. Two wrongs do not make a right.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

I'm not saying it's "right", I'm saying "It is what it is".

I was told, by someone who knows a great deal about compiling on OS X,
that osx-gcc-installer does _not_ give a _fully_ functional build tool
set for OS X, in that it lacks proprietary headers and the like which
are provided by Xcode.

Fink has to deal with a wide range of package build systems, some of
which _assume_ Xcode provides the OS X compiler set.  In the absence of
dedicated resources where we can provide binaries to users, having users
Xcode is the most effective path for us.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison