Re: Running Octave from Fink?

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 21:28:21 -0700

On 11/5/12 8:30 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 5 November 2012 17:03, Alexander Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Having to type "agree" is definitely annoying.
>
> Xcode doubly so.
>
> Does Fink work without it? I understand Macports doesn't work with a
> pure gcc install. It's unfortunate to have to recommend people to
> install non-free software to install Octave.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

My understanding is that you can't really get a fully functional build
system in OS X based solely on those components that Apple puts under
their APSL.

And we pretty much insist on the Xcode compilers except when packages
need functionality that they don't provide, like a Fortran compiler.  I
_could_ move our Octave packages over to FSF gcc and g++--I just
happened to get fewer test failures with Xcode's compilers.  Beyond
that, I'm not sure what all in the Octave dependency tree won't build
with FSF GCC.

The project team's point of view is that since we're on a proprietary OS
anyway, and since our users don't have to spend cash on Xcode, it
fulfills our needs.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison