Re: When will the new GUI be ready?

From: andrewcd
Subject: Re: When will the new GUI be ready?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 11:09:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Israel,

Managed to download and install OK.  I first tried it out in Cinnamon, which I normally use.  It works fine, except that when I try to detatch the editor, I couldn't resize the window.  (Using an external monitor).

http://i.imgur.com/y71YP.png

Logged out and logged back into Unity, and had no such problem.

http://i.imgur.com/NzdN2.png

Otherwise it seems great.  One feature request:  a big red "kill" button.  I couldn't figure out how to stop the process, and googling "octave kill process" didn't turn up a working command line equivalent.

Anyway, thanks a lot.  This is a great contribution.

Best,
Andrew

On 10/29/2012 07:42 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 [via Octave] wrote:
On 29 October 2012 06:02, Wolfgang Lindner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> dear group,
>
> I have tested and used the Windows GUI Octave-UPM-R6 by Israel
> for some time and I am very happy with it.
> This GUI is stable,

It is? Neat. Israel, did you fix the race conditions it had? I'll be
inspecting your patches later today.

> giving a good workflow just for students and novices.

Btw, just by way of comparison, here is a success story for using
Python for scientific computing and making students install Ubuntu
instead of trying to get everything to work on Windows:

    http://hplgit.github.com/edu/uiopy/uiopy.html

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.