Re: Help Gnuplot

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Help Gnuplot
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:38:00 -0400

On Oct 29, 2012, at 6:17 AM, Damian Harty wrote:

>>>                     ...when I am using user B, whenever I plot
>>> something from Terminal, the Terminal title bar change display to
>>> gnuplot-4.2.5, AquaTerm starts. But the problem is that the plotting
>>> process just hangs there. No AquaTerm window displays, and octave stop
>>> responding until I manually quit AquaTerm.
>>>
>>                                          ...Anyway, I made my Octave
>> plotting work with X11. So I can get my chart plotted.
>
> I've had the same experience (except I had no "user A" for which it worked).
> New machine, new OS (10.8.2 Mountain Lion), new installation of everything,
> no plotting exactly as described above. Previous installation (OSX 10.7) was
> fine and relatively uncontentious to install.
>
> I took my lead from:
>
> http://bl.anthonysutardja.com/post/28024250835/mountain-lion-x11-and-gnuplot
>
> Now I have a working installation using X11.
>
> 1) Is there any evidence that the AquaTerm route (which I don't really follow,
> to be honest) works reliably with OSX 10.8?
>
> 2) Is there any evidence that the X11 route I have working now is in some
> way inferior to the AquaTerm route?
>
> Damian Harty

AquaTerm development picked up a bit after 10.8 was released.  Version 1.1.1
should run under 10.8.

        https://github.com/AquaTerm/AquaTerm

However, it may not work with older versions of Gnuplot (if they link to
incompatible Frameworks)

Gnuplot's X11 does not support anti-aliasing.  However, both AquaTerm and Qt
do.  The "Qt" terminal is a fairly new feature for Gnuplot.

Ben