Re: Help Gnuplot

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Help Gnuplot
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:46:09 -0400

On Oct 28, 2012, at 9:16 PM, Sichen Dong wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Oct 27, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Sichen Dong wrote:
>
>> > I am currently using Mac OSX 10.8.2, and running Octave-3.4.0 on my
>> > machine. I also installed AquaTerm v1.1.0. And I have two users on my
>> > computer system, A and B.
>> >
>> > When I am running Octave with user account A. I can plot everything just
>> > fine. However, when I am using user B, whenever I plot something from
>> > Terminal, the Terminal title bar change display to gnuplot-4.2.5, AquaTerm
>> > starts. But the problem is that the plotting process just hangs there. No
>> > AquaTerm window displays, and octave stop responding until I manually quit
>> > AquaTerm. I have been straggling with problem for a month. Please help.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Sichen Dong
>>
>> Sounds like the Aquaterm and Gnuplot being used under account/user B are not
>> compatible.  Under user A & B what does "which gnuplot" return from the
>> Terminal? (should be the same).
>>
>> If you use Splotlight to search for "AquaTerm.app" do you get more than one
>> result under either account, or does Spotlight find a different AquaTerm.app
>> for each account?
>>
>> These sort of problems are more common if an /Users/USERNAME/Applications
>> directory exists to permit individual users to install Applications which
>> other users will not see.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ben & Alex,
>
> Thanks for your replies. I just checked the environments of both users.
> Gnuplot environments are same. The strange part is AquaTerm. I uninstalled
> AquaTerm from computer. So whenever I plot something as user B, Gnuplot runs
> just fine, but no AquaTerm window starts up. However, whenever I run as User
> A, I AquaTerm starts up just fine even I cannot find any AquaTerm.app on my
> computer. Anyway, I made my Octave plotting work with X11. So I can get my
> chart plotted.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
> Sichen

When AquaTerm is running, click-n-hold on it's icon in the Dock.  Select
[Options > Show in Finder].  If you place this AquaTerm.app in /Applications,
all users will be able to run it.

However, I suggest you install AquaTerm, Gnuplot, and Octave using either Fink
or MacPorts.  That way all your applications can be easily updated as new
versions are released.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X

Ben