Re: Octave and the new Mountain Lion Operating System

From: John B. Thoo
Subject: Re: Octave and the new Mountain Lion Operating System
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:57:03 -0700

Hello, Ben.

On Jul 30, 2012, at 5:36 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> If you've installed one of the old application bundles for Octave from
> SourceForge, they *may* no longer work correctly due to Apple no longer
> including X11 with MacOS 10.8.
>
> [...snip,snip...]
>
>  I recommend you install a new Octave using Fink.

I have Octave 3.2.3 installed from binary (.dmg).  I recently upgraded to Lion
(10.7.4).  Do you recommend that from now on I use Octave installed using Fink?
 Should I delete the previous binary first?  What about Gnuplot?  Anything else?

Thanks very much.

---John.

"Ten thousand difficulties do not make one doubt....  A man may be annoyed that
he cannot work out a mathematical problem ... without doubting that it admits
an answer."

---John Henry Newman [_Apologia_, p. 239 in Project Gutenberg's
   <http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22088>]