Re: simple advice needed on input and output

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: simple advice needed on input and output
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:15:45 -0400

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Nicholas Jankowski
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:59 AM, vilsu <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Thank you for reply!
>>
>> So, there are not a way to calculate all, then save all to a file?
>>
>> Do I have to append ine by line to a file? Is that a bit slow? I have a lot
>> of lines. about 10 000 000.
>>
>> vilsu?
>
> you're working with something like a programming language. if you want
> octave to retain previous calculations, you need to tell it to do so,
> and tell it where to keep them. by default it only remembers the last
> thing you did. (stored in the variable 'ans'). it's up to you to tell
> it to do something with that before it's overwritten.  From what you
> said earlier these seem to be fairly simple calculations. It should
> not be hard to write a script to loop through the file, assign each
> answer to some variable that will not be overwritten, and then save
> the results at the end.
>
> nickj

sorry, forgot to include the list in the email. my previous message is
above. Also, seems you created another thread on this topic. (subject:
Saving
calculation answers to file).  just to keep things together, here's
the response, which may give you what you need: