Re: forcing function execution as a core function or from a certain pack

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: forcing function execution as a core function or from a certain package
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:07:35 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message -----

The link you gave me does not at all prove Octave developers can't implement
namespaces.

For example, Octave developers can implement namespaces as in Perl, i.e.

Foo::Doo:: ... Hoo::bar

notation is allowed and _demand_ that all Octave packages follow the scheme.
This will be a superset of Matlab language, and traditional Matlab-like code
will still pollute global namespace, but what comes from Octave and its
packages will be clean.

Perl's built-in functions are called without '::' prefix, e.g.

substr
.

And, as in Perl, there should be a mechanism of explicit exporting into global
namespace - sometimes it does make sense, a good example in Perl is POSIX
module: http://perldoc.perl.org/POSIX.html . And not exporting is easy - the
cost is _just_ '()', i.e. just _two_ characters.

Regards,
  Sergei.