Re: Problem installing packages

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Problem installing packages
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 21:28:20 +0200

Am 28.05.2012 21:13, schrieb Rich Mack:
> I don't think Jordi was advocating anything, but only explaining what
> works and what doesn't work.  pkg install at the Octave CLI doesn't
> work.  Apt-get install octave-packagename works.

This maybe true on Debian based systems (I do not know that since I do
not use them), but it is for sure not true on the systems I work on
(openSUSE and Scientific Linux). I never install the octave forge
packages by the rpm system but prefer to install them via octave's pkg
system (be it system wide by calling octave with root rights for the
global install or only for my user by calling octave as normal user and
then invoking "pkg install ..." which correctly installs the package in
my home directory) it never failed and did its job.
So I am very surprised about some parts of the discussion here and the
generalizations included in some of the arguments.