Re: Problem installing packages

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Problem installing packages
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 12:56:42 -0400

On 29 May 2012 12:42, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 29 May 2012, at 14:24, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> For this reason, I would like to at least de-emphasise pkg install as
>> the method we should be suggesting for people to install packages. I
>> wish we could tell them to first try to find compiled packages for
>> their system, and if that fails (there are no packages, or the
>> compiled package has bugs that affect this particular user, or they're
>> already using a system where source compilation is the preferred
>> distribution method), then *as a fallback* we suggest using pkg
>> install.
>
> It would indeed be good to be able to get binay versions of all OF packages
> for all systems.
>
> At the moment though, on OSX for example, we don't even have a reliable
> binary distribution of the current release of Octave core.

Sure, but at least the source distribution there can be automated, so
at least we know that *there* pkg install is likely to work.

> What makes you think we will find enough manpower to build and
> maintain all the binary packages?

This is a separate issue. I don't know what can we do to attract
binary packagers. In many cases, they work independently. I don't
think I've ever seen the openSUSE packagers show up in the Octave
mailing lists, but we have packages from them.

I'm actually hoping that in the Apple case, getting more Octave users
through the packaging system will attract someone to make a working
.dmg. The 3.4.0 dmg was basically created in this way.

- Jordi G. H.