Re: Problem installing packages

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Problem installing packages
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 17:35:11 -0400

On 28 May 2012 15:28, Martin Helm <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 28.05.2012 21:13, schrieb Rich Mack:
>> I don't think Jordi was advocating anything, but only explaining what
>> works and what doesn't work.  pkg install at the Octave CLI doesn't
>> work.  Apt-get install octave-packagename works.
>>

> This maybe true on Debian based systems (I do not know that since I do
> not use them), but it is for sure not true on the systems I work on
> (openSUSE and Scientific Linux). I never install the octave forge
> packages by the rpm system but prefer to install them via octave's pkg
> system

This is because nobody is has take the trouble to properly package OF
for rpm-based distros since the prehistoric monolithic OF releases. So
yes, because nobody is doing it there, you *have* to do it yourself
and compile from source. But on Debian someone is taking care of the
packaging and compiling, so there's no need for most users to do it
again.

- Jordi G. H.