Re: Problem installing packages

From: notMyUsername
Subject: Re: Problem installing packages
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 16:28:49 -0700 (PDT)

>Strictly speaking, AFAIR, putting hard-coded '-march=native' is a bug -
because it applies only to x86 and >x86_64 architectures.

>Another issue is that llvm-g++-4.2doesn't understand it even though you are
apparently using an x86 or >x86_64 machine.

Yes. core i7 quad.

I don't know enough about how Homebrew works (or how Octave keeps track of
what flags it uses to build packages) but on the Lion machine (core i7):

$ brew --env
CC: /usr/bin/clang
CXX: /usr/bin/clang++ => /usr/bin/clang
LD: /usr/bin/clang
CFLAGS: -Os -w -pipe -march=native -Qunused-arguments
CXXFLAGS: -Os -w -pipe -march=native -Qunused-arguments
MAKEFLAGS: -j8

So it looks kind-of like a catch 22 the way ut currently is - if I set CXX
to g++ it will compile the package but won't accept the flags, but if I
leave it alone the flags are OK but it generates errors on the package code.

So since none of these variables are set outside of Homebrew  I presume that
what I need to do is get Homebrew to use different CXX and CSSFLAGS when it
builds Octave in the first place?  Is that where Octave is getting those
from?  Or is there somewhere in Octave (after it's built) that I can get at
those and set then appropriately?

Thanks!