Re: Windows Package

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Windows Package
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:08:25 -0400

On 21-Jul-2010, John Hudock wrote:

| I did also try to retreive the package from
| http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php after I installed the 3.2.4
| version of Octave and found the Windows package still empty, with no luck.
| Even the description of the package at
| http://octave.sourceforge.net/windows/overview.html shows all the functions
| not implemented. So I can only imagine that there is an updated version
| somewhere, but it is not at all clear where.
|
| My pkg list shows:

| Package Name       | Version | Installation directory
| -------------------+---------+-----------------------

|           oct2mat *|   1.0.7 | ...\share\octave\packages\oct2mat-1.0.7

I don't know whether this will fix the problem you are having with
xlsopen, but you do NOT want to have the oct2mat package installed in
Octave.

As I understand it, the functions in this package are intended to be
used in Matlab, to provide some functions that are commonly used in
Octave but not present in Matlab.  But the functions ARE present in
Octave, and the ones in the oct2mat packages do not do the right thing
for Octave, so I think it is wrong for the Windows installer to even
offer it as an installation option for Octave.

This package has caused so much trouble for Windows users of Octave
that it might be worth creating a new Windows installer for Octave
3.2.4 that does not include the oct2mat package at all, or that does
not allow it to be installed with Octave, or at least that does not
install the functions that override existing Octave functions.

jwe