Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:47:50 -0600

On 12 February 2010 23:41, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> This whole "issue" looks like a non-issue to me.

If you don't care about defending software freedom, it's not. Copyleft
ensures continued software freedom at all costs. Non copyleft free
licenses sometimes compromises software freedom for other priorities.

I think you've already made it clear that you have higher priorities
than software freedom, but as a GNU project, Octave has a high
priority of software freedom. The loss of some free software from
which Octave users can benefit, whether immediate because it got
deleted from the Mathworks' servers or delayed due to loss of
copyleft, is regrettable.