Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Mathworks-hosted GPL'd software
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 12:33:30 -0500

2010/2/13 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> The loss of some free software from
> which Octave users can benefit, whether immediate because it got
> deleted from the Mathworks' servers or delayed due to loss of
> copyleft, is regrettable.

Loss of free hosting is unfortunate and someone from the FSF should
contact the Mathworks to see if any abandoned GPL-licensed packages
can be adopted.

However, I really think the major upside is that *everything* on the
Mathworks file-exchange can now be used in GPL-licensed work. Is that
not significant? There are no non-free-software licenses allowed. Sure
you're ticked off that your favorite flavor of freedom wasn't
selected. I'm sure others are ticked off that their protective
proprietary licenses are now forbidden. Personally, I think it's a
good and pragmatic compromise on the Mathworks part because it keeps
the license wars off their servers. Nobody's stopping you from hosting
your code anywhere else.

I agree with Sergei, the BSD/GPL holy war isn't going to be resolved
after decades here in this mailing list. The BSD is recognized by the
FSF as a free-software license that is GPL-compatible. Enough with the
fauxtrage already.

--judd