Re: calling octave from C

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: calling octave from C
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:04:25 -0500

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
> As a matter of fact, I do *not* really understand how this conclusion
> follows from the text of GPL 3, I just trust the FAQ. I respect the opinion

I can't say that I do either. I think the FSF avoids specific language
within the FAQ statements purposefully to avoid helping scumbags find
holes in the licenses.

Based on the FAQ entry it may be that if someone were to create a new
program that combines octave, pytave and python into a new
GPL-licensed single work then it may be possible to monkey with what
has been said in the FAQ. That said, the FAQ is not the GPL so who
knows if that would be successful at all anyway.

In any case octave+pytave+python is not currently a single work and
the FAQ entry applies immediately to pytave's relationship to python.
Again, sorry for the noise.

--judd