Re: calling octave from C

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: calling octave from C
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:10:40 +0100

Judd Storrs skrev:
I understand your position. But fundamentally, pytave is clearly a
derivative work of octave and is bound to octave's license.
Restrictions on octave by derivative works are incompatible with the
GPL. That is both the beauty and the curse of the GPL. I guess the
clearest way to express my consern is that one of these two cases must
be true:

1) Pytave's restriction limiting use of octave to only GPL-compatible
interpreter scripts is a novel GPL-incompatible restriction on
octave's code

I think your word "GPL-incompatible" is misleading. Calling it a "novel GPL-incompatible restriction on Octave's code" is plain wrong. It's not novel. It's not "GPL-incompatible". Pytave is a derivate of Octave. That's why it is licensed under GPLv3. And it's not a restriction of Octave's code. You can do the same thing with Pytave that you can do with Octave to begin with. In fact, the GPL license is there to guarantee it.

The GNU GPL is not a random set of rules regarding distribution. I think this is essential to truly understanding the license. It is there with the explicit purpose of preserving the four freedoms of the users. Hypothetically, if Pytave somehow weren't GPL, the hole it with leave open would be big enough to drive a truck through.

OR

2) Use of GPL-incompatible interpreter code (m-files) was already
forbidden within the octave interpreter.

My opinion is that the FSF FAQ makes it clear that #2 is false.

The Octave interpreter can be used to interpret any m-file. You can interpret any m-file through Pytave too. You can run Pytave or Octave however you wish, it is freedom 0. (Freedom to run the software for any purpose)

David