Re: calling octave from C

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: calling octave from C
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:26:40 +0100

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Judd Storrs <address@hidden> wrote:
I understand your position. But fundamentally, pytave is clearly a
derivative work of octave and is bound to octave's license.
Restrictions on octave by derivative works are incompatible with the
GPL. That is both the beauty and the curse of the GPL. I guess the
clearest way to express my consern is that one of these two cases must
be true:

Why?

1) Pytave's restriction limiting use of octave to only GPL-compatible
interpreter scripts is a novel GPL-incompatible restriction on
octave's code

There is no such restriction. It's just about applying the GPL.

OR

2) Use of GPL-incompatible interpreter code (m-files) was already
forbidden within the octave interpreter.

My opinion is that the FSF FAQ makes it clear that #2 is false.

Yes. The FSF's FAQ also clearly say that scripts linked via GPL'ed bindings to external GPL software should be GPL compatible.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer