Re: Plotting with 3.2.0 on Windows is SLOOOOOOWWWW

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: Plotting with 3.2.0 on Windows is SLOOOOOOWWWW
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:42:11 +0200

>The slowness seem to strongly depends on the system.
>
>In the test previous post performed on the computer in my home (Windows
>XP home Cereron M 1.2Ghz 512Mb Memory).  I have tested the same tests
>by Matthias Brennwald on the computer the university (Windows XP
>professionan HT Pentium 3.4GHz 1GB Memory)
>
>The speed of the tests on the octave 3.2 (3.2.0 MinGW distributed on
>the OctaveForge and Octave 3.2.2 built myself)is comparable to octave
>3.0.5 MinGW distributed on the OctaveForge).  Of course the result for
>3.0.5 is faster than that ion the computer in mu home.  However it is
>reasonable to the different in CPU performance.  However the difference
>octave 3.2 on MinGW is too big to attribute the cpu performance.

I have not understood the last paragraph, however the memory amount
between the two systems (512M versus 1G) could make a significant
difference, if the working set of the kernel, octave and gnuplot exceeds
512MB.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040