Plotting with 3.2.0 on Windows is SLOOOOOOWWWW

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Plotting with 3.2.0 on Windows is SLOOOOOOWWWW
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:57:18 +0200

Dear all

Consider the following code:

-----------------
N = 100;
n = 2;
m = 2;
tic
for i = 1:n*m
    x = rand (2,N);
    subplot (n,m,i);
    plot (x(1,:),x(2,:));
end
toc
-----------------

Executing this with Octave 3.2.0 on my MacBook running on Mac OS X, the tic/toc timing reports about 0.06 seconds, and it takes about 1 second until all plots are displayed (using gnuplot). Doing the same on the same machine with Windows results in a tic/toc time of about 0.1 seconds, but the plots take more 5 minutes to appear.  The same happens on a 'real' Windows machine. I don't think this is how it should be, so I guess I might be doing something wrong.

I need to produce many such plots on a Windoze system. Is there anything I can do to speed things up?

Matthias

----
Matthias Brennwald
Eawag, CH-8600 Dübendorf
Office BU-C08: +41 44 823 53 05
Lab LA-C76: +41 44 823 53 06
address@hidden

----
Matthias Brennwald, Käferholzstrasse 173, CH-8046 Zürich, +41 44 364 17 03