Re: Plot to PDF

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Plot to PDF
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:24:31 -0600

Ben Abbott wrote:
On Friday, July 10, 2009, at 09:53AM, "Jonathan Stickel"
From: Ben Abbott <address@hidden> Subject: Re: Plot to PDF To:
Torquil Macdonald S?rensen <address@hidden> Cc:
address@hidden Message-ID:
<address@hidden> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed; delsp=yes

On Jul 9, 2009, at 6:50 PM, Torquil Macdonald S?rensen wrote:

Hi!

When I plot to pdf in octave, the page format turns out
wrong. The resulting PDF looks like an A4 page, even though
the actual plot is wider than its height (standard format).
I'm using octave 3.2 and the newest gnuplot development snapshot. Plotting to PDF with gnuplot works fine using the
pdfcairo terminal.

The command I have tried when plotting to pdf in octave is:

fplot(blablabla...) print("plot.pdf")

It works, apart from that page format issue. Anyone know how
to do it right? I'm using the octave3.2 from Debian Sid.

Thanks Torquil S?rensen
It's not clear to me what you are seeing, or what you expect to
see. So I'll explain what should happen and you can comment.

Both pdf an postscript output respect the papersize and
paperposition properties.

The default are

papersize = [8.5, 11]; paperposition = [0.25, 2.5, 8.0, 6.0];

The resulting pdf/postscript output should (approximately) fill a
8x6 in box centered on a page of 8.5x11 inches.

If this is what you see, then all is working correctly.

If you'd like to produce a pdf to import into a LaTeX document
(or a figure for a similar purpose), then try

set (gcf, "papersize", [6.4, 4.8]) set (gcf, "paperposition", [0,
0, 6.4, 4.8]) plot (1:10) xlabel ("xlabel") ylabel ("ylabel") title ("title") plot test.pdf

Ben
This makes a nice looking plot, but it is in the lower left corner
of an 8.5x11 in page!  It seems that the papersize is not being
respected. Interestingly, the fonts of the pdf output are nice and
large.  However, if I subsequently print to eps, the fonts are tiny
in the eps output.

Jonathan

Thanks for catching the papersize bug. This is due to ghostscript.
Presently ghostscript is used to produce a pdf from a postscript
output. The postscript is the proper size (per the bounding box) but
the resulting pdf is letter size (or perhaps a4). The solution will
be to explicitly tell ghostscript the size of the page by using the
options ...

-dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=w -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=h

Where w and h are in points.

Another solution is to run the developers version of gnuplot (version
>= 4.3).

Regarding the eps fontsize, this is a gnuplot feature. I don't have a
gnuplot manual handy, but I recall the decreased fontsize is
documented. Perhaps we should use ghostscript to convert from ps to
eps so that we obtain consistent fontsizes?

I'll add these to my list of things that need work. However, my
computer is still out for repair and I'm very busy with selling my
home, packing, and moving ... it might be a few weeks before I can
get to this. So if anyone has the initiative, please dig in.

Ben

OK.  BTW, a big thanks for all your work on the plotting code.

Until this can be fixed within Octave, one workaround is to crop the pdf file after creation. The perl script "pdfcrop" does a good job, and it is included with texlive.

Jonathan