Re: Plot to PDF

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Plot to PDF
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:53:19 -0600

On 7/9/09 address@hidden wrote:
From: Ben Abbott <address@hidden>
To: Torquil Macdonald S?rensen <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

On Jul 9, 2009, at 6:50 PM, Torquil Macdonald S?rensen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> When I plot to pdf in octave, the page format turns out wrong. The > resulting PDF > looks like an A4 page, even though the actual plot is wider than its > height > (standard format). I'm using octave 3.2 and the newest gnuplot > development > snapshot. Plotting to PDF with gnuplot works fine using the pdfcairo > terminal.
>
> The command I have tried when plotting to pdf in octave is:
>
> fplot(blablabla...)
> print("plot.pdf")
>
> It works, apart from that page format issue. Anyone know how to do > it right? I'm
> using the octave3.2 from Debian Sid.
>
> Thanks
> Torquil S?rensen

It's not clear to me what you are seeing, or what you expect to see. So I'll explain what should happen and you can comment.

Both pdf an postscript output respect the papersize and paperposition properties.

The default are

papersize = [8.5, 11];
paperposition = [0.25, 2.5, 8.0, 6.0];

The resulting pdf/postscript output should (approximately) fill a 8x6 in box centered on a page of 8.5x11 inches.

If this is what you see, then all is working correctly.

If you'd like to produce a pdf to import into a LaTeX document (or a figure for a similar purpose), then try

set (gcf, "papersize", [6.4, 4.8])
set (gcf, "paperposition", [0, 0, 6.4, 4.8])
plot (1:10)
xlabel ("xlabel")
ylabel ("ylabel")
title ("title")
plot test.pdf

Ben

This makes a nice looking plot, but it is in the lower left corner of an 8.5x11 in page! It seems that the papersize is not being respected. Interestingly, the fonts of the pdf output are nice and large. However, if I subsequently print to eps, the fonts are tiny in the eps output.

Jonathan