Re: Plot to PDF

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Plot to PDF
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:04:43 -0400

On Friday, July 10, 2009, at 09:53AM, "Jonathan Stickel" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On 7/9/09 address@hidden wrote:
>> From: Ben Abbott <address@hidden>
>> Subject: Re: Plot to PDF
>> To: Torquil Macdonald S?rensen <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden

>> It's not clear to me what you are seeing, or what you expect to see.
>> So I'll explain what should happen and you can comment.
>>
>> Both pdf an postscript output respect the papersize and paperposition
>> properties.
>>
>> The default are
>>
>> papersize = [8.5, 11];
>> paperposition = [0.25, 2.5, 8.0, 6.0];
>>
>> The resulting pdf/postscript output should (approximately) fill a 8x6
>> in box centered on a page of 8.5x11 inches.
>>
>> If this is what you see, then all is working correctly.
>>
>> If you'd like to produce a pdf to import into a LaTeX document (or a
>> figure for a similar purpose), then try
>>
>> set (gcf, "papersize", [6.4, 4.8])
>> set (gcf, "paperposition", [0, 0, 6.4, 4.8])
>> plot (1:10)
>> xlabel ("xlabel")
>> ylabel ("ylabel")
>> title ("title")
>> plot test.pdf
>>
>> Ben
>
>This makes a nice looking plot, but it is in the lower left corner of an
>8.5x11 in page!  It seems that the papersize is not being respected.
>Interestingly, the fonts of the pdf output are nice and large.  However,
>if I subsequently print to eps, the fonts are tiny in the eps output.
>
>Jonathan

Thanks for catching the papersize bug. This is due to ghostscript. Presently
ghostscript is used to produce a pdf from a postscript output. The postscript
is the proper size (per the bounding box) but the resulting pdf is letter size
(or perhaps a4). The solution will be to explicitly tell ghostscript the size
of the page by using the options ...

    -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=w -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=h

Where w and h are in points.

Another solution is to run the developers version of gnuplot (version >= 4.3).

Regarding the eps fontsize, this is a gnuplot feature. I don't have a gnuplot
manual handy, but I recall the decreased fontsize is documented. Perhaps we
should use ghostscript to convert from ps to eps so that we obtain consistent
fontsizes?

I'll add these to my list of things that need work. However, my computer is
still out for repair and I'm very busy with selling my home, packing, and
moving ... it might be a few weeks before I can get to this. So if anyone has
the initiative, please dig in.

Ben