Re: Controlling quality of 3d plot

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Controlling quality of 3d plot
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 13:36:29 +0200

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Oz Nahum <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks again for your reply.
>
>>Chage
>>  [X,Y,Z]=meshgrid(-7:0.5:7,-7:0.5:7,-7:0.5:0);
>> [X,Y,Z]=meshgrid(-7:0.1:7,-7:0.1:7,-7:0.1:0);
>
> This is really nice, I should have thought about it my self.
> The only trouble is, it takes much much longer to execute, and mouse
> interaction is really slow now.
> I guess it's too heavy for my poor graphic card...

I don't think gnuplot uses OpenGL, so it's usually more about CPU
speed than the graphic card.

>>In my case gnuplot shows angles in bottom-left corner of
>>window, like this "view: 60.0000 30.000". Calling
>>view(60,90-30) in octave you get the same result.
>
> Thanks, that's a nice trick
>
>>octave doesn't know about mouse-gnuplot interactions.
> shame that would be a really nice feature IMHO.

3.1.55 provides "ginput", allowing you to wait for click and get the
coordinates.

> Also, I've tried installing jhandles. No success at all, even though I have
> java and jre and jdk in my debian machine. I wish there were debian
> packages. I must say, this project seems maintained but it has completely no
> documentation which is a bit of a shame.

AFAIK, java and jre are not the only requirement, according to the README.
If you're missing docs, you can write them, or support the developers
(or someone else) to do it.

> from the jhandles README:
>  "Testing has only been done under Windows; there's a high probability
> that it does not work under UNIX systems."
>
> Is this guy serious ? It's not like testing it on linux is hard.

Maybe it's not hard. Who do you suppose should have done the testing?

> I've spent
> too much time reading dead mailing lists links on how to install jhandles
> without much succes.
>

> Sorry about the criticism, but I always thought octave is great but
> maintained and documented in a little bit cranky way.

So what you want to contribute to, improving docs, or maintenance, or both?

cheers

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer