Re: Scilab is now GPL v2 compatible - as the site claims

From: Marc Normandin
Subject: Re: Scilab is now GPL v2 compatible - as the site claims
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:19:24 -0400

Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> Anyway, frep2tf has a subtle, though not serious, flaw.
>
> IIRC, it uses sum of abs deviations rather than sum of squares of abs
> deviations as its error metric. I mean, strictly saying, it's not least
> squares approximation as it claims.

>From your description, it sounds like the the method is reasonable,
though perhaps not what people would expect; thus, it's the
documentation that's incorrect.  They've simply chosen a "robust"
estimator in favor of the the minimum mean square approach, which one
can argue is sensitive to noise.

Regards,
Marc

Marc D. Normandin              http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~mdnorman
Graduate Research Assistant                     address@hidden
Indiana University School of Medicine           317-278-9841 (tel)
Department of Radiology, Division of Research   317-274-1067 (fax)