Re: Scilab is now GPL v2 compatible - as the site claims

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Scilab is now GPL v2 compatible - as the site claims
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:57:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 9/20/08, Søren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Søren Hauberg <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Scilab is now GPL v2 compatible - as the site claims
> To: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 11:35 PM
> lør, 20 09 2008 kl. 23:28 -0700, skrev Sergei Steshenko:
> > Scilab has a really nice function for filter
> synthesis: frep2tf. I think
> > it is better than its octave-forge counterpart. Better
> in the sense of
> > accuracy.
>
> Patches are more than welcome :-)
>
> Søren

???

If anybody is interested, he/she first has to verify my claim -
my understanding of the algorithm is superficial, but, still, I think
frep2tf has a functional piece its octave-forge counterpart doesn't have,
and that is why the function is more accurate.

If my claim is correct, then octave-forge maintainers willhave to decide
whether to add a new function based on fre2tf or to change the existing ne.

Anyway, frep2tf has a subtle, though not serious, flaw.

IIRC, it uses sum of abs deviations rather than sum of squares of abs
deviations as its error metric. I mean, strictly saying, it's not least
squares approximation as it claims. It was one of the things I changed in
my local copy.

Regards,
  Sergei.