Re: Displaying an animation / "movie"

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Displaying an animation / "movie"
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:51:32 -0400

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Hauberg_ wrote:
>   I don't know about the license/patent situation, but I'm guessing that
> there probably are a bunch of silly patents around mpeg4 so that we
> should avoid such a format.
>   However, from a practical point of view I have two problems with Ogg
>     *) It is not a commonly used format by people outside the Free
>        software community. So, if you want a large audience, Ogg is
>        not a great format. This is of course a chicken-and-egg type
>        problem, as people will start using Ogg when it's gotten
>        popular...
>     *) While Ogg provides excellent compression for movies of the real
>        world, it compresses things too much for things such a plots.
>        I've experimented a bit with moving plots in Ogg, and the result
>        really looked like crap. I'm sure that could be tweaked if time
>        was an infinite resource, but other codecs did better. Perhaps
>        the Free Dirac codec would be good here.
What I'd really like to see is SVG animations.  That way you can get
"perfect" representations of your data and win the freer-than-thou
contests.  I realize that I would need to put the code where my mouth is
(to really stretch the metaphor), but I have been wanting that for a
while.  For many of the videos that I've made in the competitor before,
an SVG animation would better serve the purposes than any of the
standard video formats (i.e. how does a curve change over a range of
parameters or very pixelated images).

Have a good day,

Bill