Re: Displaying an animation / "movie"

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Displaying an animation / "movie"
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:42:10 -0500

2008/9/13 Søren Hauberg <address@hidden>:
> lør, 13 09 2008 kl. 19:59 +0200, skrev Francesco Potorti`:
>> >Have you tried the 'video' package from Octave-Forge? I've never used
>> >it, but I'm under the impression that it works with fairly recent
>> >versions of ffmpeg.
>>
>> I use Debian, but I see no octave-video package...
>
> I don't know the details about debian packages, so I can't really
> comment here.

Looks like it's not packaged yet, but I have a licensing question
here.  Debian does distribute ffmpeg, and I see that the preferred
thing to do is to generate avis, with the mpeg4 codecs, apparently.
Are there any patent issues here that might discourage Debian from
packaging this? Should Octave movies be done in Ogg Theora?

I'm not trying to get all freeer-than-thou here, just curious.

- Jordi G. H.