Re: Displaying an animation / "movie"

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Displaying an animation / "movie"
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:21:32 +0200

Thomas Weber wrote:
Am Montag, den 15.09.2008, 13:12 +0200 schrieb Francesco Potorti`:
Have you tried the 'video' package from Octave-Forge? I've never used
it, but I'm under the impression that it works with fairly recent
versions of ffmpeg.
Allright, waiting for Debian to produce an octave-video package,

I don't intend to add any more octave-forge packages to Debian until
octave-forge's release process is fixed (and yes, it currently is
broken).

By "fixed" I mean that:
1) Packages that had no changes are not released with a new version
number.
I agree with this point, and have attempted to have a fix for it in the build process, though it only partly works and not when a different person does the build or a different build machine (ie autoconf) is used. In that case the package is arbitrarily flagged as being modified and the version number needs to be increased.. Yes we shoudl fix this..

2) The total number of packages is reduced.
This I can't agree with in general, but
Examples: Physicalconstants
*One* .m file, last code change in Feb 2007. Releases since then: 6(!)
Yes that should probably go somewhere else.

control:
Two .m files, last code change in Dec 2007. Released version then:
1.0.5, current: 1.0.7.
The control toolbox from Octave will transition here for an octave-forge release against an Octave 3.2 version. So this one stays.

civil:
Three .m files, last code change not in SVN! All of them dealing with
ODEs, making them a perfect candidate for odepkg.
Maybe.. So submit a patch. These things don't fix themselves.

And so on. Guys, merging packages is far better then introducing your
own new pet package (e.g., "general" and miscellaneous" are perfect
candidates for merging - what's their difference, actually?). In fact,
would you go looking in the civil package for solving ODEs?
Original "general" and "miscellaneous" mirrored equivalent directories in Octave itself. This was useful when octave-forge shadowed Octave core functions. Shadowing is discouraged and so yes it now makes sense to merge these packages into a single package.. Submit/commit a patch.

Personally I think that quite some packages should simply be kicked, as
their "maintainers" don't care about them.
Well, the only reason I see for kicking packages is if they no longer work with the current versions of Octave. In that case they aren't kicked from the SVN, they just should have the NOINSTALL file placed in them, and the packages won't be created.

Perhaps, we can create an unmaintained directory and transition orphaned packages to this directory. Then the downstream maintainers can choose or not to install these packages...

It's neither Soren's nor
David's job to care for this ever growing pile of code.
This I couldn't agree with more.. I was so happy when Soren said he'd take over the releases :-)

D.

        Thomas