Re: Neural Network Toolbox setup.

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Neural Network Toolbox setup.
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:40:33 -0500

2008/7/30 Russell jarvis <address@hidden>:
> I don't have a Red Hat package of the neural network toolbox and I
> don't think any are available so I am unsure if running Octave, going
> into the appropriate directory and typing `doc pkg' will work.

It will. Did you try it? It's Octave's internal package-handling
mechanism independent of the distribution you use.

> I downloaded nnet-0.1.3 from source forge again.
>
> I went inside and found the folder were all of the .M files were
> stored and copied this folder.

Before you go on, go read the pkg doc.

> Does Linux have an equivalent of `Program Files'?

Uhm, not really. Some versions of GNU/Linux do, like GoboLinux, but
otherwise, files are scattered all over the tree structure according
to 30-year-old Unix traditions (which I think is mostly a good thing).

> My first thought was
> the bin folder but that is stupid because an M file is a script not an
> executable.

The /usr/bin or /bin directories (I've never liked the "folder"
metaphor myself), may contain binary executables, but also often
contain scripts that are set executable and have a shebang line (e.g
#!/usr/bin/octave).

> I have a folder called `Octave setup' on my desktop. I went inside
> that and found a folder called `scripts', all of the folders in
> scripts seem to contain M files. I figure this might be an okay place
> to put them, except I have a feeling these are only setup files, and
> the real directory Octave is running from is somewhere else on the
> directory tree.

Yes. Use "pkg add" from Octave. Handling of software is very different
under a GNU system than on Windows. In particular, you mostly let the
packaging tools do the work for you.

- Jordi G. H.