Skewed plots from Octave/GNUplot

From: austinw
Subject: Skewed plots from Octave/GNUplot
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:58:52 -0700 (PDT)

I am a new Octave user having made the switch from Matlab following my
student license expiring. I am noticing a fairly serious "flaw" in the
octave plotting package. When I plot 3D points using Octave and GNUplot the
output does not have a 1:1:1 aspect ratio. Yes I have tried the basics:
set(gca,'DataAspectRatio',[1 1 1]) and
axis("equal")
with little to no effect. I did not notice the issue until plotting circular
data when it is plainly obvious. The circles look like ovals. I have
attached a shot of a typical plot. I took the same data file and plotted it
in both Matlab and SpatialAnalyzer to verify that indeed the data was
circular. Any suggestions ? I may have to find a different software package
if I cannot rely on Octave to produce physically accurate plots.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Austin
http://www.nabble.com/file/p18765282/Picture%2B2.png