Re: Posting guide

From: David Bateman
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:14:16 +0200

Rubén Roa-Ureta wrote:
As it happened, I found the solution myself. I was running code under Octave 3.0.1 that I had written under Octave 2.5, and it included a calculation with the Gamma distribution. The results were different in the two versions. After a short experimentation I noticed that the Gamma parameterization was changed (probably for compatibility with Matlab) so I changed my code accordingly and everything run well. I have come back to Octave after a long time doing everything with R (I'm a statistician), but I like Octave very much, I will read the posts, and I will ask politely for help when I need it.
Thanks to Dmitri for the link to how to ask question the smart way.
Rubén

Then the following 2 entries from the 3.0.1 NEWS file are probably of interest to you.

** For compatibility with Matlab, normcdf, norminv, normpdf, and
   normrnd have been modified to compute distributions using the
   standard deviation instead of the variance.

** For compatibility with Matlab, gamcdf, gaminv, gampdf, gamrnd,
   expcdf, expinv, exppdf and exprnd have been modified to compute
   the distributions using the standard scale factor rather than
   one over the scale factor.

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary