Re: Posting guide

From: Rubén Roa-Ureta
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:54:40 -0400

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
2008/7/28 Rubén Roa-Ureta <address@hidden>:
Being new to the list, I was trying to find a posting guide, like there
is for example for R, to no avail (maybe I didn't try hard). So, is
there a posting guide to ask questions about Octave to the experts?

I don't think we have one, but I'm not sure we need one either. Tell
us what you want to happen, what is actually happening, show us any
error messages you get, and show us the code you're typing. Oh, and be
nice. That seems like common sense to me, but lawyers have shown that
common sense often needs to be codified.

So, ask away.

- Jordi G. H.
As it happened, I found the solution myself. I was running code under Octave 3.0.1 that I had written under Octave 2.5, and it included a calculation with the Gamma distribution. The results were different in the two versions. After a short experimentation I noticed that the Gamma parameterization was changed (probably for compatibility with Matlab) so I changed my code accordingly and everything run well. I have come back to Octave after a long time doing everything with R (I'm a statistician), but I like Octave very much, I will read the posts, and I will ask politely for help when I need it.
Thanks to Dmitri for the link to how to ask question the smart way.
Rubén